HOW TO CHANGE GEARS WITH ELECTRONIC PRECISION SHIFT, BUTTONS
Difficulty Level: Novice | Time Required: 2 minutes | Tools Required: None | Related Parts, Products, Services or Technology: None
If equipped, Electronic Precision Shift lets you shift gears electronically by pushing or pulling buttons, rather than using a traditional mechanical connection.
This feature may work differently, depending on your vehicle, so see your Owner’s Manual for details. Your vehicle may also have an Electronic Precision Shift, Lever.
HOW TO USE ELECTRONIC PRECISION SHIFT, BUTTONS
If your vehicle has this feature, you’ll find a push-/pull-button shift system on the center console or somewhere near the infotainment screen, depending on your model. Some of the buttons should be pushed, and others are switches that you will pull toward you.
If you have a joystick-style shift lever system, use these instructions instead.
1. To shift into PARK or NEUTRAL, bring the vehicle to a stop and press the “P” or “N” button.
a. If you try to shift into PARK while your vehicle is moving, Electronic Precision Shift will prevent this from happening. You have to press the “P” button again when your vehicle is stopped.
b. If you turn the vehicle off in DRIVE or REVERSE when the vehicle is stopped, Electronic Precision Shift will automatically shift to PARK. If you turn the vehicle off in NEUTRAL, the vehicle will remain in NEUTRAL. Shift to PARK before exiting.
2. To shift from PARK to NEUTRAL, apply the brake pedal, then press and briefly hold the “N” button. The light on the “N” button should be lit. If it isn’t, press “N” again.
3. To shift into DRIVE or REVERSE, pull the “D” or “R” switch.
a. When shifting from PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL or DRIVE, you have to press and hold the brake pedal, just as if you were using a mechanical shifter.
If you try to shift incorrectly, the Driver Information Center (DIC) will give you feedback with a message such as “Reduce Speed for Requested Shift” or “Conditions Not Correct for Shift.”
LOW, MANUAL OR ONE-PEDAL DRIVING
Your vehicle will also have a LOW or MANUAL button, depending on the model.
1. To shift into LOW or MANUAL, press the “L”or “M” button. The LOW or MANUAL button only works when your vehicle is already in DRIVE.
a. To limit the highest gear while in LOW or shift gears while in MANUAL, use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel or the + and – buttons.
b. To shift back to DRIVE, pull the “D” button.
2. Electric vehicles have a One-Pedal Driving† button (OPD) under the “D” button. This enables the accelerator pedal to be used to help slow down the vehicle.
a. Under certain circumstances, One-Pedal Driving allows you to bring your vehicle to a complete stop without using the brake pedal.
b. One-Pedal Driving can be turned on in DRIVE or REVERSE at any speed by pressing the OPD button. Press the OPD button again to turn off One-Pedal Driving.
3. You can learn more about these features and how they work in the Owner’s Manual.
GOING THROUGH A CAR WASH WITH ELECTRONIC PRECISION SHIFT, BUTTONS
There are specific steps you must follow when you go through an automatic car wash while the vehicle is in NEUTRAL (“N”), whether you’re getting out of or staying in the vehicle.
Before entering the car wash, refer to the Owner’s Manual to make sure your vehicle is capable of using an automatic car wash. If the vehicle needs to be shut off during the car wash, refer to your Owner’s Manual for instructions.
If you get out of the vehicle during the car wash:
1. Drive to the entrance of the car wash.
2. With the vehicle still on, press the brake pedal and open the door.
3. While your door is open and the brake pedal is pressed, shift to NEUTRAL by pressing the “N” button.
Note: It’s important to open the door before shifting to NEUTRAL. If you open the door to get out of the vehicle in a car wash AFTER engaging NEUTRAL, PARK may automatically engage.
4. The light on the “N” button should be lit. If it’s not, press “N” again.
5. Now you can unbuckle your seat belt, turn the vehicle off if desired, get out of the vehicle and close the door.
6. The vehicle may automatically shift to PARK upon re-entry.
If you stay in the vehicle during the car wash:
1. Drive to the entrance of the car wash.
2. With the vehicle still on, press the brake pedal and shift to NEUTRAL by pressing the “N” button.
3. The light on the “N” button should be lit. If it’s not, press “N” again.
4. The vehicle will stay in NEUTRAL until you select a different gear or open the door.
RELATED LINKS AND RESOURCES
With Electronic Precision Shift, if you shut off your vehicle when you are stopped and not in PARK or NEUTRAL, it will automatically shift to PARK.
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE?
NEED MORE HELP?
Communicate with one of our specialists.
To find out if your vehicle has this feature, contact your dealer or refer to your vehicle’s equipment list. Please check your Owner’s Manual for more information about features.