HOW TO CHANGE GEARS WITH ELECTRONIC PRECISION SHIFT LEVER
Difficulty Level: Novice | Time Required: 2 Minutes | Tools Required: None | Related Parts, Products, Services or Technology: None
Electronic Precision Shift lets you shift gears electronically using an electronic joystick-style lever, rather than using a traditional mechanical connection.
This feature may work differently, depending on your vehicle, so see your Owner’s Manual for details. Your vehicle may also have Electronic Precision Shift buttons.
HOW TO USE ELECTRONIC PRECISION SHIFT
If your vehicle has this feature, you’ll find an electronic lever that looks like a joystick on your center console.
There will be a dedicated PARK (“P”) button at the top of the lever and an interlock button on the side of the lever. You have to press the interlock button to shift gears.
If you have a push-/pull-button system, use these instructions instead.
1. To shift into PARK: Press brake pedal. Come to a complete stop. Then, press the “P” button on the shifter.
a. If you try to shift into PARK while your vehicle is moving, Electronic Precision Shift will prevent this from happening. You have to press the “P” button again when your vehicle has slowed to a stop.
b. If you turn the vehicle off in DRIVE or REVERSE when the vehicle is stopped, Electronic Precision Shift will automatically shift to PARK. If you turn the vehicle off in NEUTRAL, the vehicle will remain in NEUTRAL. Shift to PARK before exiting.
2. To shift into REVERSE: With your foot on the brake pedal, and the vehicle stopped, press and hold the side interlock button. Then, depending on the pattern on your shift lever, you will either push the shifter forward and then left toward “R” or forward past the first bump toward “R.” The “R” on the shifter will light up.
3. To shift into DRIVE: With your foot on the brake pedal and the vehicle stopped, press and hold the side interlock button. Pull shifter rearward toward “D.”
4. To shift into NEUTRAL: With your foot on the brake pedal and the vehicle stopped, press and hold the side interlock button. Push the shifter forward until it reaches the first bump. The “N” on the shifter will light up.
LOW OR MANUAL
Your vehicle will also have a LOW (“L”) or MANUAL (“M”) gear setting.
1. To toggle between DRIVE and MANUAL or LOW (depending on the model), while in DRIVE, pull the shifter rearward to shift to “M” or “L.”
2. To shift gears while in MANUAL or select the highest available gear while in LOW, use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.
3. Pull the shifter rearward again to return to “D.”
4. You can learn more about this feature and how it works in the Owner’s Manual.
If you try to shift incorrectly, the Driver Information Center (DIC) will give you feedback with a message such as “Reduce Speed for Requested Shift” or “Conditions Not Correct for Shift.”
GOING THROUGH A CAR WASH WITH ELECTRONIC PRECISION SHIFT
There are specific steps you must follow when you go through an automatic car wash while the vehicle is in NEUTRAL (“N”), whether you’re getting out of or staying in the vehicle.
Before entering the car wash, refer to the Owner’s Manual to make sure your vehicle is capable of using an automatic car wash. If the vehicle needs to be shut off during the car wash, refer to your Owner’s Manual for instructions.
If you get out of the vehicle during the car wash:
1. With the vehicle turned on, place your foot on the brake pedal and open the door.
2. While your door is open and the brake pedal is pressed, put the vehicle in NEUTRAL by moving the shift lever to “N.”
Note: If you open the door to get out of the vehicle in a car wash AFTER engaging NEUTRAL, PARK may automatically engage. So, open the door before shifting to NEUTRAL.
3. The “N” on the shifter should be lit. If it’s not, move the shift lever to “N” again and hold it for about one or two seconds.
4. Now you can unbuckle your seat belt and get out of the vehicle.
If you stay in the vehicle during the car wash:
1. With the vehicle turned on, place your foot on the brake pedal and shift to NEUTRAL by moving the shift lever to “N,” holding it for about one or two seconds.
2. The “N” on the shifter should be lit. If it’s not, move the shift lever to “N” again and hold it for about one or two seconds.
3. The vehicle will stay in NEUTRAL until you select a different gear.
RELATED LINKS AND RESOURCES
If you forget to shift to PARK before you shut off the vehicle’s engine, Electronic Precision Shift will automatically shift to PARK unless the vehicle is in NEUTRAL.
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE?
NEED MORE HELP?
Communicate with one of our specialists.