HOW TO USE YOUR HANDS-FREE POWER LIFTGATE
Difficulty Level: Novice | Time Required: 5 Minutes | Tools Required: None | Related Parts, Products, Services or Technology: Key fob
Available Hands-Free Power Liftgate with logo projection and programmable height, if equipped, lets you open and close your liftgate with a simple kicking motion below the bumper. On some vehicles, an illuminated logo projection will appear on the ground to show you where to kick.
OPEN YOUR HANDS-FREE POWER LIFTGATE
- With your key fob in your hand, pocket or bag, approach the liftgate.
- The logo projection will automatically turn on as you get within 6 feet of the rear of your vehicle.
- Kick straight over the logo, or at the sensor for older vehicles.
Note: Kick straight within 5 inches of the bumper — sweeping the foot side to side or stepping on the logo projection will not activate the sensor.
- The liftgate will open after giving you time to safely step away. The rear lights will flash and a sound will chime to alert you that the liftgate is opening.
You can also use a kicking motion to close the liftgate:
- Kick straight over the logo projection, or at the sensor for older vehicles.
- After a 2-second delay, the rear lights will flash and a sound will chime to alert you that the liftgate is closing.
ADJUST YOUR LIFTGATE’S LIFT HEIGHT
The power liftgate has the following lift-height presets:
- MAX — Liftgate opens to its maximum height
- ¾ — Liftgate opens to three-quarters of its maximum height
- OFF — Liftgate can only be opened manually
To tailor how high your liftgate will rise:
- Select the ¾ setting on the liftgate switch.
- Open the liftgate.
- Manually adjust the liftgate to the desired height.
- Press and hold the button next to the liftgate latch for 3 seconds. The location of this button will vary depending on your vehicle. The turn signals will flash and a chime will sound once the setting is stored.
Try these troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure your kick is not too fast or slow. The “in” and “out” kicking motion should be completed within one second
- Move closer to your vehicle
- Kick directly toward the underside of your vehicle. Do not kick the bumper
- Make sure that your kick comes within 5 inches of the bumper of your vehicle
- Make sure that your key fob is within 3 feet of your vehicle
The logo projection only helps you find the location where you should kick. It doesn’t affect the hands-free control of the liftgate.
The logo projection only illuminates for 60 seconds at a time. If it’s already on when you come back, it will stay on for 60 more seconds.
There are several explanations that could apply:
- Only certain key fobs — your vehicle fobs associated with Drivers 1 and 2 — will turn the projection on. Your fob may not be able to illuminate the logo projection
- The battery may be in a cool-down period to preserve its charge. This happens when the logo projection has been turned on five times in 5 to 10 minutes. It will illuminate again after an hour
- If the logo projection is still not showing, ensure the underside of the vehicle is clean and clear of debris
- If you approach the liftgate and stay there for several minutes, the projection will not turn on the next time the liftgate is used
- If the vehicle hasn’t been used in 10 consecutive days, the logo projection will not turn on
In any of the above scenarios, your liftgate will still open with a kick.
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE?
NEED MORE HELP?
Communicate with one of our specialists.