ABOUT REAR PEDESTRIAN ALERT
Rear Pedestrian Alert can help
How It Works
The Rear Pedestrian Alert feature uses the Rear Vision Camera to monitor the area behind the vehicle for pedestrians.
What Happens When the Feature Detects a Pedestrian
When a nearby pedestrian is detected to the rear of your vehicle, you’ll receive the following alerts:
- A flashing amber PEDESTRIAN icon will appear in the Rear Vision Camera screen. The icon looks like a person inside a caution triangle
- A short series of repeating low-pitched beeps will sound from the rear speakers or, if equipped, two Safety Alert Seat vibrations will be issued from both sides of the driver’s seat (depending on your Alert Type menu option)
What Happens When a Pedestrian is Very Close:
If the pedestrian is very close to the rear of your vehicle:
- A flashing red PEDESTRIAN icon will appear in the Rear Vision Camera screen
- A longer series of repeating low-pitched beeps will sound from the rear speakers or, if equipped, seven Safety Alert Seat vibrations will be issued from both sides of the driver’s seat (depending on your Alert Type menu option)
Things to Remember When Using Rear Pedestrian Alert
- You should always look all around the vehicle and check your Rear Vision Camera display before backing up
- Rear Pedestrian Alert does NOT automatically brake your vehicle. It is an alert system only. Always be ready to quickly take action to prevent collisions
- Rear Pedestrian Alert may not detect all pedestrians in all situations. Examples of its limitations include:
- Rear Pedestrian Alert may not detect children
- When the pedestrian is not directly behind your vehicle, is not fully visible, is not standing upright or is part of a group
- Poor visibility conditions, including nighttime, fog, rain or snow, or if the Rear Vision Camera is blocked by dirt, snow or ice. Keep the Rear Vision Camera lens clean
- Carefully read your Owner’s Manual for system limitations. Check the “Driver Assistance Systems” section of the Owner’s Manual for a diagram that shows the location of the feature’s camera and how to clean it
- You can turn Rear Pedestrian Alert off through the Settings menu on your vehicle’s infotainment system
RELATED LINKS AND RESOURCES
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE?
NEED MORE HELP?
Communicate with one of our specialists.